Do you want your home to be not only comfortable but also as secure as possible? Of course you do — after all, you need a safe place for you and your family to live. However, there are all sorts of factors that can impact your security and safety, ranging from crime to wildlife to slippery surfaces during winter.
What You Need to Know About Motion Sensor and Security Lighting Features
Fortunately, you can use motion sensor lighting and security lighting to add some additional layers of security to your home. Here are some of the most important lighting features you should think of, along with their benefits:
- Interior lighting timers: According to crime experts, lighting can significantly deter burglars and other criminals. They simply prefer not to enter a property when someone’s at home and there’s a chance of being caught. That’s why having a timer on your interior lighting is critical to keeping criminals out of your home. Even when you have to work late or go out in the evening, your lights will go on automatically. This gives the impression that you or someone else in your family is at home.
- Motion sensor driveway lighting: Installing motion sensor activated lighting along your driveway is another good investment in your safety. The lights come on as soon as someone turns onto your driveway, so you’ll be alerted to their presence. This will keep criminals at a distance.
- Motion sensor porch lighting: Motion sensor porch lighting turns the lights on when someone or something comes onto your porch. If you’re coming home in the dark, it will light your way — something that’s especially important if you live in a cold climate where ice can easily form on your porch. It will also deter most criminals looking to pick your lock, as well wildlife that’s too close to your home for comfort.
- Exterior floodlight: If you want maximum lighting outside your home, a motion-activated exterior floodlight is a good choice. Install it by a shed or garage to keep coyotes, bears and other wildlife away. It will also scare off criminals looking to hide close to your home while they scope it out.
- One-switch exterior lighting: One-switch exterior lighting works wonders if you hear something outside.with the flip of a switch, all your exterior lights come on at the same time. This lights up your porch, yard, and driveway. If anybody or anything is too close to your home, they’ll be caught in the act and likely scared away.
Keep in mind that in the dark, your security cameras can’t record the faces and other distinguishing features of trespassers and would-be criminals who come too close to your home. However, when there’s adequate lighting it’s possible. In the event that your home is targeted, the footage from your security camera can help the police catch the criminals in question.
Finally, motion sensor activated lighting saves considerably on energy, because you don’t have to keep the lights on all the time. And that’s a benefit both the planet and your wallet will thank you for.
To learn more about installing motion sensor and security lighting in and around your home, call JDV Electric today!