The electricity in your home should always be working properly and up to code. Even though you can’t see your wiring, it’s important for you to keep track of its condition. As one of the essential systems working in your home, your electrical wiring is responsible for carrying the appropriate amount of power to outlets, fixtures, and appliances. When your wiring fails or costs you money, rewiring is in your best interest. That’s why you want an experienced professional to install it for you, to maximize safety and value.
If your home does, in fact, need rewiring, its likely that your electrical system has already been showing significant warning signs. If you are experiencing the following issues in your home, you should call JDV Electric for an inspection before the problem escalates.
- Frequently blown fuses or tripped breakers. Poor wiring frequently trips your circuit breaker. The breaker switches off electrical flow when a circuit exceeds the number of amps it is supposed to handle. Old wiring is often the culprit, but in other instances, it has to deal with the circuitry of the appliances and other electronics.
- Dimming or flickering lights. This is a sign of faulty wiring and this is frequently seen more often in homes that are older than 40 years old.
- Discoloration of the outlets or switches can be a sign that there is either a loose connection or faulty wiring. Loose connections in the outlets can cause sparks. This can result in small fires causing the surface of the outlets to char and discolor.
- Buzzing sounds. This could be something as simple as a problem with your dimmers. It would also signal or a more significant problem with your service panel. Either way, a JDC Electric professional will be able to figure it out for you.
- Shocks and sparks. Sparks are never a good sign! If you see electrical sparks or experience any shocks in your home, you should call a professional immediately.
- The house’s age. If you live in an old house that is older than 40 years, this might be the time to consider a rewiring. It might be possible that your old wiring can’t handle the electrical load that’s required by most modern appliances and gadgets. A rewiring would update your home and bring it up to current standards if it is required. A qualified electrician will be able to let you know more.
- Burning Smell. If you’re always noticing a burnt smell without being able to identify a possible source, then you may want to consider having someone take a look at your wires. This burnt smell may be the result of an electrical short that might have happened under the floorboards or behind the walls. If you suspect that this might be the culprit behind the smell, then call an electrician and have them immediately fix the issue, as this can be a fire hazard.
- Aluminum Wiring. This reflects the age of your home as well. Prior to the 1970’s, aluminum wiring could be found in many home’s wiring systems. This was due to the low price and the high conductivity. Unfortunately, aluminum wiring tends to overheat easily, creating a fire hazard. If there is aluminum wiring in your home, you should remove it and replace it.
Calling a professional to deal with the problem lessens the likelihood of problems escalating down the road. Our inspection will cover all of the bases – our goal is keeping you safe and comfortable in your home. If you do need home rewiring, JDV Electric is ready to help you every step of the way.
For all of your electrical and rewiring needs, call JDV Electric today!