Did you know that October is National Fire Prevention Month? It’s important to take electrical safety into consideration when maintaining your home. We rely on our electrical system daily to keep our home safe – think about how often you use electronics, turn on lights, or power appliances. With the cold months approaching, it’s important to be sure your homes electrical system and appliances are ready to work safely. Here are a few fire safety tips to remember around your home:
Extension cord use is common around the home. If you don’t have enough cord to for your lamp to reach the nearest outlet, you can just reach in the drawer and grab a longer cord, right? This may seem like an easy fix, but you may want to reconsider. Extension cords can be very convenient and helpful, but they shouldn’t be a permanent solution. Continuous use causes significant wear and tear to your extension cord, creating the possibility of electrical shock or fire. Be sure to take the following precautions when using extension cords:
- Don’t overload them.
- Don’t use them as a permanent solution.
- Keep cords away from water.
- Don’t run cords through walls, doorways, ceilings, or floors.
- Extension cords shouldn’t be chained together.
- Make sure they’re properly rated.
- Don’t plug a two-pronged cord into an outlet with three.
Following these simple tips will help to protect your home. If you have any questions, or you’re unsure about your home’s electrical system, call the professionals at JDV.
The colder the weather gets, the more we rely on our heat to stay warm and comfortable. If your main heating system is incapable of adequately heating your entire home, or you find that it’s too costly to operate constantly, you may seek your warmth from a portable heater. It’s extremely important that you use these electrical appliances safely, as electrical fires, shocks, and burns are all too common when they’re misused. When buying or using a portable heater, consider the following:
- Buy newer models with current safety features.
- Always check to make sure your portable heater carries the Underwriters Laboratory label.
- Purchase a model with a thermostatically controlled heater.
- Sizing is important – make sure your heater is the right size for your space.
- Keep the portable heater at a level surface and away from clutter.
When to Call JDV Electric
October may be National Fire Safety Month, but here at JDV Electric, our goal is keeping you safe year round. If you have any electrical issues in your home, it’s best to leave repairs to our professionals. We offer:
- Childproof Outlets
- Electrical Safety Inspections
- Dedicated Circuits
- Code Compliance and Corrections
- GFCI Outlets
- Wiring Updates
- Circuit Breaker Replacements
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Smoke Detectors
- Whole Home Surge Protection
- Security and Flood Lighting
- And Many More!
Don’t wait until it’s too late. For expert electrical service and repair, call JDV today!